AM Workshop (Perth Chapter)
- Video: Dan Pink - The Puzzle of Motivation
- An excellent video that provides a succinct summary of motivational research and the workplace. Dan Pink highlights in particular that traditional rewards aren't always as effective as we think.
- Book: Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daniel H. Pink
- If you watched the video above and you want more, you can always check out the book behind it. This is a great read for those interested in the underlying research and it contains a number of useful tools for a number of different contexts.
- Book: Punished by Rewards by Alfie Kohn
- If you're looking for even more detailed research on motivation then look no further. Alfie Kohn provides an extensive review of motivational psychology literature in this book.
- Book: How to Lead a Quest by Dr Jason Fox
- Not only has he got one of the best names in the business, Dr Jason Fox also has one of the best books to help guide leaders in the workplace. A must read.
- Book: Creativity, Inc. by Ed Catmull (with Amy Wallace)
- Ed Catmull created Pixar and provides some excellent insight and advice to his adventure from researcher to leader of one of the most creative companies ever.
- Slide 7: Piano Staircase
- Slide 15: Google Trends Graph on Gamification
- Slide 18: Gartner Says By 2015, More Than 50 Percent of Organizations That Manage Innovation Processes Will Gamify Those Processes
- Slide 34: Gamification is Bullshit by Ian Bogost
- Slide 36: Gartner Says by 2014, 80 Percent of Current Gamified Applications Will Fail to Meet Business Objectives Primarily Due to Poor Design
- Slide 37: Gamification Platform Badgeville Raises $25M
- Slides 42-53: Digital Australia Report 2016
- Slide 49: Industry Facts - The Entertainment Software Association
- Slide 49: Top 2014 Movies at the Worldwide Box Office
- Slide 54: When Gaming Is Good for You
- Slide 78: Most Americans Are Unhappy At Work
- Slide 85: Self-Determination Theory
Keynote Image Credits
Other photos and figures used include:
- Slide 4: NYC subway, waiting for the train by Stacy - CC BY-SA 2.0
- Slide 5: Escalator and stairs from West Dublin/Pleasanton station platform by Eric Fisher - CC BY-SA 2.0
- Slide 6: 24-hour gym with escalators, source unknown. Available from imgur.
- Slide 9: Piano Stairs - Behind the scenes by KJ Vogelius - CC BY-NC-SA 2.0
- Slide 15: Graph adapted from Google Trends search on Gamification
- Slide 55: oh a typical gamer by allison.johnston - CC BY 2.0
- Slide 73, 77, 123: Carrot And Stick Incentives Lead Manage by Alan O'Rourke (Audience Stack) Background was removed - CC BY 2.0
- Slide 90: Flow Theory